That’s why our team wants to take a moment to highlight how wonderful adopting a senior pet can be. They bring so much love and happiness to a home – we know you won’t regret your decision!
Special Considerations for Senior Pets
Before we launch into the awesome benefits of adopting a senior pet, we want to review some special considerations that come along with caring for an older animal.
Although many pets over the age of 6 are healthy and well-adjusted, there are some age-related issues of which owners should be aware. This includes arthritis, kidney disease, and dental disease. To better care for a potential pet, be sure to inquire about his or her medical history, current or anticipated medications, surgical procedures, and any treatments that may be required.
In addition, many senior pets require specialized diets, as well as more frequent wellness exams. As our recommendations depend largely on age, breed, weight, lifestyle, and medical/behavioral history, we encourage you to glean as much information as possible prior to adoption.
The Benefits of Adopting a Senior Pet
Now on to the good stuff! Consider the following advantages of adopting a senior pet:
- With a mature animal, what you see is what you get. This takes the guesswork out of whether or not a young pet will develop the right temperament for you and your family.
- Senior pets tend to be mellower, which is perfect for older owners or those who enjoy a less rambunctious fur friend.
- With most senior pets, the dreaded task of housetraining or litter box training has already been handled (fewer accidents!).
- Many senior pets are already trained and socialized, so they understand basic commands, how to play well with others, and the standard rules of a home.
- Senior pets love cuddle time and are expert snugglers.
- Older animals are often better equipped to live in a multi-pet home or mixed species family.
- Senior pets never take your time and attention for granted, and they have a wealth of love to share with a new pet parent.
If you’re looking to add a new pet to your family, the team at Leon Valley Veterinary Hospital hope you consider adopting a senior pet. Please contact us with additional questions or concerns. Thank you for adopting!