There are plenty of doggone good reasons to welcome a pet dog into your family, but if you’re still on the fence about adopting a canine companion, we’ve got three undeniably pawsome reasons why dogs make great pets!
Check out these benefits of owning a dog, and once you’ve welcomed your new four-legged friend, our dog lovers at Leon Valley Veterinary Hospital are here with a lifetime of quality care, including expert wellness, senior pet care, and veterinary surgery.
- Owning a Dog Will Keep You Moving
Dogs exude positive energy and love to play, romp, walk, and even run, which makes them ideal exercise partners. So, if you’re looking for more motivation to move your body, a dog is the perfect match. Most dogs need to be walked for about 30 minutes each day, rain or shine. Some pet parents have to walk their dogs at night because of work schedules, and that’s okay, too.
Staying on the move with your dog can boost your cardiovascular health and lead to lower blood pressure and cholesterol levels. Plus, a well-exercised pooch is a happy, well-behaved dog whose company you will thoroughly enjoy at play and at rest.
- Dog Ownership Supports Mental Health
The link between dogs and mental health is well-documented, with studies showing that owning a dog can reduce stress and anxiety. Just petting or playing with your dog will trigger your body’s release of “feel-good hormones” like endorphins and oxytocin.
Here are some more ways that dogs can impact mental health:
- Need to talk through a problem? Dogs are wonderful listeners who never judge.
- Are you ready to expand your social circle? When you join a training class with your dog or visit the dog park, you’ll make friends with other dog lovers and grow your network of friends and support.
- Tough day at work? Being greeted by your faithful companion and training your focus on his needs can pull you out of a funk.
- Need a dose of affirmation? There’s nothing more comforting than knowing you have your faithful companion’s unconditional love and support through all of life’s ups and downs.
- Dogs Bring Us Joy
With their floppy ears, goofy grins, and slobbery tongues, is it even possible to look at a dog without smiling? We don’t think so! Dogs provide us with a constant source of silly shenanigans, Insta-worthy photo ops, and enough warm hugs and wet kisses to make our hearts overflow. Remember those endorphins we talked about earlier? Every time you interact with your dog, you fall in love with him all over again. What could be more magical?