Spring feels like the perfect time to throw caution to the wind and go a little hog wild, right? Sure, it’s exciting to have longer days and be able to use the extra time to plant and prune. But without a springtime primer on how to prevent a pet poisoning, seasonal safety can find itself on the backburner.
Dive Right In
Due to their high toxicity and the damage they can cause to your pet’s mouth, digestive system, respiratory system, heart, and kidneys, the following bulbs should never be around your pet:
- Lilies (including the pollen, petals, stem, and leaves)
- Lily of the Valley
Please contact us immediately if you know or suspect your pet ate a poisonous bulb, stem, leaf, or flower. Signs of a pet poisoning include drooling, vomiting, diarrhea, excessive panting, increased heart rate, abdominal pain, and seizures. Gather up any evidence or samples and bring them with you when seeking emergency veterinary care.
The Garden Shed
Most homeowners have a few products in storage that are used 1-2 times a year on grass, plants, and trees or to keep pests at bay.
While not all fertilizers are toxic, some can be if eaten. Blood meal, bone meal, cocoa mulch, rose care products, pesticides, and some soil amendments can be harmful.
Snail bait, rodenticides, and other pest control products can cause significant damage to a pet’s health. Likewise, if a pet eats a rodent that has recently been exposed to poison, they will likely experience symptoms such as tremors, shaking, and seizures.
Storage is Key
The best solution is to properly store dangerous products so your pet is never tempted or unwittingly exposed to harmful products. Locked cabinets and bins can eliminate risks entirely. If you’re using garden or garage products, make sure your pet is safely removed from the action.
Cleaners and Pet Poisoning
Spring cleaning is a huge must for many families, but many items contain bleach or ammonia, which is harmful to your pet. When cleaning, keep your pet safe in a separate, well-ventilated area. Wait for surfaces to dry before allowing them back in.
Please be aware of any standing water on your property which can harbor bacteria and lawn and garden chemicals.
We hope your pet is never exposed to dangerous or toxic substances. However, if a pet poisoning does occur, it’s critical to seek emergency care right away. Early advanced diagnostics can help us determine the most effective course of treatment.
Please let us know if you have additional questions about how to prevent a pet poisoning this spring.