As loving pet owners, we all want our pets to be as healthy as possible throughout their lives. When you think of spaying or neutering, you may just think of it as a way to prevent unwanted pregnancies in your dog or cat. This is only just one small benefit of these procedures. Leon Valley Veterinary Hospital is here to show you how spaying or neutering your pet in San Antonio is beneficial for your pet:
What Are Spaying Or Neutering Surgeries?
Spay and neuter surgeries are procedures to surgically sterilize a pet. During a spay the veterinary surgeon removes the ovaries, fallopian tubes, and uterus of a female dog or cat. Neuter surgery is a procedure to remove the testicles. Both of these surgeries are safe and done under anesthesia. Typical recovery time is minimal, from one to three weeks, depending on the surgery.
Why You Should Spay or Neuter Your Pet
There are numerous advantages of surgically altering your pet. One of the most compelling reasons is that the surgeries reduce the population of stray and homeless pets. Millions of pets are euthanized each year because they are unwanted. Feral cat populations account for many of these homeless animals, as cats are 45% more prolific in reproduction than dogs.
The community and our companion animals are healthier when there are fewer strays. This is because these unwanted pets carry with them several contagious and serious diseases. It is a great act of caring for animals and the community when you spay or neuter your pet.
The Benefits of Spaying Your Cat or Dog
- No more heat cycles (with all of the howling and attempts to get outside)
- Lowers the risk of certain cancers like mammary gland tumors and uterine cancer
- Eliminates unwanted pregnancies
- Cost effective because you won’t have more kittens or puppies to care for
- Less likely to become lost while trying to find a mate
- Your pet will live a longer, healthier life
The Advantages of Neutering
- Reduces their desire to spray or mark around the home and yard
- Less likely to escape the home and encounter accidents or injuries, as well as becoming lost
- No longer have a risk of testicular cancer and decreases the chances of certain prostate conditions
- Reduces aggressive behavior
- Reduces unwanted litters, which in turn is also cost effective
- Your dog or cat will live a longer, healthier life
Puppy/Kitten Care in San Antonio
Leon Valley Veterinary Hospital offers comprehensive care for your puppy or kitten, including vaccinations, wellness exams, and spay and neuter surgeries. If you would like to learn more about our services, please contact us at (210) 681‑1391.