Rat Bait, Not Cat Bait:  Rodenticide Poisoning in Pets

Pet poisonings happen secondary to exposure to all sorts of things. It might be helping themselves to some chocolate, applying the wrong type of flea preventive to your cat, or drinking some sweet antifreeze from the driveway. However, one of the most common animal toxicities we see at Leon Valley Veterinary Hospital is rodenticide poisoning in pets. Learn what you need to know about keeping your animals safe from this tricky toxin.


Valentine’s Day Pet Safety: Protecting Your Furriest Sweetheart

AIMSS_Leon_iStock_000055992820_MediumAs Valentine’s Day items line the store shelves, love is in the air. While the words “pet safety” may not be the sweet nothings you plan on whispering, it’s definitely important to those with animal companions.

Ahhh, Chocolate!

Most pet owners have a keen fear of chocolate when it comes to their pet – especially for the dog who eats anything.

Chocolate poisonings comprise the majority of veterinary emergencies this time of year. The darker the chocolate, the greater the danger to your pet, since it contains a greater percentage of theobromine and caffeine (the alkaloid toxins).

Since chocolate is often wrapped, many pet owners make the mistake of thinking their pet won’t chew through that heart-shaped box or foil. Think again! Any delectable (wrapped or not) can be smelled, prompting your dog to chow down. Continue…